Who We Are
The Colorado Affordable Residential Energy Program (CARE) is a partnership between NWCCOG, local participating utility companies and Energy Outreach Colorado. CARE installs FREE energy efficiency upgrades to reduce the home energy bills of income-qualifying households in participating counties.
Do I qualify?
- You live in a participating county: Chaffee, Clear Creek, Eagle, Grand, Lake, Park, Routt, Summit, Garfield, Moffat
- You are serviced by a participating utility company (Xcel Energy, Atmos Energy, Holy Cross Energy, Black Hills Energy, Yampa Valley Electric Association, Colorado Natural Gas)
- You meet income qualifications for your county (80% of the area median income)
- You automatically qualify if you (or anyone in your household) receives assistance from any of the programs listed below. Applicant must include current benefit approval letter when submitting CARE application.
- Low-Income Energy Assistance (LEAP)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Aid to the Needy and Disabled (AND)
- Old Age Pension (OAP)
- Aid to the Blind (AB)
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Section 8 Housing
Submit a CARE application and return it to Northwest Colorado Council of Governments (NWCCOG) via mail to the address below or email to email@example.com. If qualifying through household income verification you must include income documentation for each working adult in the household.After you submit a completed CARE Application, NWCCOG will: 1. Contact approved clients to schedule a free home energy audit. 2. Manage the FREE installation of approved FREE energy efficient equipment in your home.
LEAP (Low-Income Energy Assistance Program) is a federally funded program that can pay part of your heating costs. It is only active from November 1st to April 30th each year and can be used once per heating season.