The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is a federally funded program that provides free energy conservation services to eligible households, both owner-occupied and renters. Qualified applicants can receive assistance with items like insulation, air sealing, storm windows and doors, furnace repair or replacement, refrigerator replacement, LED light retrofitting and Health and Safety evaluations.
Funding for weatherization services is provided by the Colorado Energy Office and the U.S. Department of Energy Denver Regional Office.
Do I qualify?
- Your total household income is less than 60% State Median Income. Applicant must include income documentation.
- You live in a participating county: Chaffee, Clear Creek, Eagle, Garfield, Grand, Jackson, Lake, Moffat, Park, Pitkin, Rio Blanco, Routt, and Summit.
- You automatically qualify if you (or anyone in your household) receives assistance from specific federal programs, such as those listed below. Applicant must include current benefit approval letter when submitting weatherization application.
- Low-Income Energy Assistance (LEAP)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
Weatherization Program Process
Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) is a federally funded program that can pay part of your heating costs. It is only active from November 1st to April 30th each year and can be used once per heating season.
You can find more information on LEAP through the Colorado Department of Human Services.